Friday, May 21, 2010

Almond Butter Cookies - Simple Saturday and Gluten Free

Is there a word that means "more simple than the simplest"? If there is, this would be the picture that goes with that word.
Almond Butter Cookies
I can't remember who told me about this recipe so many years ago, but anytime I've been camping I always use it. There is literally only two main ingredients (Almond Butter and an egg) plus the optional, but toasty, brown sugar.

Almond butter can be found in almost any regular grocery store these days, but you can also use peanut butter. I've made these plain, sandwiched them with more almond butter or ganache, dipped them in chocolate, and rolled them in coconut. If you read much of my blog, you know I LOVE to have options and I really encourage you to experiment and tell me about it, too.

RECIPE: ALMOND BUTTER COOKIES

*1/2 cup Almond Butter (preferably organic)
*1 egg
**optional 1/4 cup brown sugar

1-Beat all ingredients together in a small bowl until very well combined.

2- Drop heaping teaspoonfuls onto a parchment lined baking sheet

3- Place in the freezer for 1 hour (this helps with making the pressed fork prints later)

4- Remove from freezer, lightly press each cookie down with a fork.

5- Bake in a preheated oven 350F for 5-10 minutes. Remove and let cool on pan.
If you're camping, obviously you can't put these in the freezer first. Just drop spoonfuls onto an oiled camping pan and place over the grill. Turn each cookie over once during the cooking, pressing just slightly. Let cool and try sandwiching a campfire marshmallow between them. Now, I've made
myself hungry.

7 comments:

Julia said...

I'm totally excited by this! Way up my alley (ie: easy peasy), and I love almonds in any way. I have some almonds in the pantry that I'll roast and turn into almond butter--how's that for excited! Thank you!

showfoodchef said...

Julia: Thanx! And, wow, your own almond butter will probably take these little cookies to another level! I'd love to hear how yours turn out, too.

Khali//Bandit and the Scene Stealers said...

Yummy! I love the idea of making fresh cookies while camping. I almost want to go camping just so I can make these cookies. I will probably just make them and eat them outside at home. hehehe

Kelley@thehiddenlist.com said...

Cathy - I posted this delicious recipe on my blog and gave you a mention. Please check it out!

http://thehiddenlist.com/2010/05/you-butter-watch-out/

I love your recipes! Hope this mention brings more readers your way!

Wishing you all things exceptional!
Kelley

Shae said...

Perfection! We spend weeks every summer at our cabin in Alaska with just a double propane burner and our woodstove for cooking, so baked goods are a challenge. And I try to keep things gluten free. I just printed this recipe to take along this year. Thank you!

Denise | Chez Danisse said...

Perfect, just as Julia mentioned--easy peasy!

Cowgirl Chef said...

I've been going through at least ONE JAR of almond butter a week -- I've found one that's mixed with cane sugar at the natural foods store, and it's like crack! -- and I was just thinking the other day about doing a cookie with this. I think that I'll get the almond butter without sugar added and give these a try. My eating the almond butter straight out of the jar with a spoon business has got to stop.