Saturday, December 18, 2010

Sweet Potato Microwaved Chips w/ Cinnamon & Fleur de Sel - Simple Saturday

Here's what happens when I go to the Farmer's Market and my eyes are bigger than my week.
Sweet Potato Chips
w/ Cinnamon and Fleur de Sel

This past week, I fell in love with a few Sweet Potatoes (don't judge) and I wanted to take them all home. Then after making soup, casseroles, pies and muffins - I was still staring at several beautiful tubers, but not a lot of time left to use them.

With a teenage son, and a husband who works late hours I'm always looking for snack items that have at least a tiny bit of healthy in there somewhere. Plenty of people have done Sweet Potato fries and chips, but often they are fried (not against it, but time consuming.) I've done baked sticks and baked chips, but right now my ovens are constantly taken up with holiday baking. So...I just quickly slammed out a few thin slices on the mandoline, tossed them in light olive oil, microwaved them on a large plate and half way through sprinkled them with a salty-cinnamon blend. Were they good? I have no more potatoes. They were all eaten in one sitting by several teens who had no idea they were getting their daily requirements of iron, fiber and potassium while snacking and yaking.


RECIPE: Sweet Potato Microwaved Chips w/ Cinnamon and Fleur de Sel

Sweet Potatoes (peeled and sliced thin- a mandoline works best)
2Tbls Olive oil
2 Tbls Cinnamon
1 Tbls. Fleur de Sel (or another coarse salt)
1) In a small bowl, whisk together the cinnamon and salt and hold to the side.
2) In another bowl, toss the Sweet Potato slices in the Olive Oil.
3) On a microwavable platter, lay the slices out without touching or overlapping
4) Microwave the chips, turning them over half way through. Depending on your microwave - this should take 3-4 minutes on each side.
5) While they are still warm, sprinkle the cinnamon salt combo liberally over the chips. They will crisp while cooling. Remove and store in a paper bag, or on parchment until serving.

* Sprinkle more cinnamon salt to taste.

**Optional: Also fabulous with a mixture of equal parts: Chipotle Chile Powder, Sugar, Salt**

13 comments:

abbey said...

OK, this is brilliant!! I make baked sweet potato chips/fries all the time and have posted the recipe before, but I have NEVER thought of doing them in the microwave!! I will definitely give this a try, thank you!

Samantha said...

No Way! In the microwave? Genius!

Stephanie said...

What a clever idea - would never have thought to microwave but it makes sense. Thank you for sharing.

Lauren said...

I LOVE this idea! I could live off of sweet potatoes, and when I stumble across yet another way to enjoy the delicious vegetable, I get very excited. I can't wait to make these chips!

myrecessionkitchen said...

I agree, brilliant. Going to try this soon. I love sweet potatoes.

Pretty. Good. Food. said...

Wow, so easy! I have to give these a try :)!

Erika Kerekes said...

OK, lazy me found a few shortcuts - even to this extremely simple recipe! I didn't peel the sweet potatoes, and I didn't turn them over. I must have sliced them more thinly than you did, because I found that mine were done with 4 minutes total in my microwave. And, interestingly enough, the ones on the rim of the plate cooked faster than the ones in the center of the plate. Go figure.

xlntchef said...

Oh my my sister will love these. She brought home (to Sweden) several bags of Cinnamon Sweet potato chips from Whole foods. Her little one year old can eat a bag in a sitting!

Brilliant idea with using the microwave! Will def give these a try! And i love your word play, "my eyes are bigger than my week! That is SO ME! I go to a farmers market and in my mind i will cook everyday but in reality it happens once a week and i have sad abandoned veggies and fruit wasteing away...

Khali//Bandit and the Scene Stealers said...

Genius! I can't wait to try this!

Nancy said...

Brilliant!!

This sounds like the perfect snack for me - I have a sweet potato in the drawer so I know what I am making tomorrow!!

The Urban Baker said...

i want a humongous bag of these and i DON'T have a microwave. the question is...do i buy one just to make these??? these are my kind of snack; morning, noon and night! p.s you are a good wife!!

marla said...

I must try these asap. Sweet potatoes are one of my all time favorite foods & these chips are healthy & simple :) XO

Susan said...

Healthy chips?? You rock!