Saturday, January 22, 2011

Stewed Apples - Simple Saturday

STEWED APPLES
So many family favorites are in the hands and hearts of people we love, but there are no real "recipes" for them. These Stewed Apples are one of the many things my Mother-in-law makes and we all love them on pancakes, over granola, beside scrambled eggs and just a big bowl of them hot from the...microwave? That's right. It's just that easy. When I asked her if she would share her recipe for these, I got an email that said:
******
Hi Cathy,

I have no recipe for the apples as I just put and taste. But, I will do my best.

6 apples peeled and cored and sliced
1/4 cup white or brown sugar
Hand full of raisins
1/2 stick of butter (cut into pats)
1/4 (?) cup water

Put all together, sprinkle with cinnamon and microwave until the right texture.
I suppose you could bake it as well.
******
How wonderfully easy and I can witness to how tender and sweet these are with just the right tang if you use Granny Smith Apples. Plus, I love the term "Put and Taste" and I'm adopting it for my blog. My mom - who is also an inventive and "taste with the heart" kinda cook has always made these amazing soups with whatever she had on hand, using the "Put and Taste" method. Love it!

If you don't have a microwave, you can old-school it and heat it up in a saucepan on the stove or even bake it in a dish (my preference). Do YOU cook things with the "Put and Taste" technique?

3 comments:

Erika said...

Dear ShowFood Chef, I am making this dish tomorrow for breakfast! But the name needs to be "Put 'n taste Apple n Raisin Heaven"! Yum for us gluten-free girls. Thanks for another hit!

Lana said...

It was so nice chatting with you yesterday at Pam's! I'm so glad I met you:)
And, yes, many recipes that my Mother and Grandmothers past on to me were of the "put and taste" category:) I think that they were so experienced that they needed just reminders of the ingredients, and not the actual recipe:)
I guess I learn differently:)
I'm looking forward to getting to know you better, through the blog and IRL:)

Nancy said...

I had forgotten all about this dish - my grandmother made one that I think was almost the same. This is the perfect thing to have during the week to put on oatmeal, granola, yogurt, etc., etc.

I am so glad that you posted this!!