Friday, August 13, 2010

Duo of Melon Fresca w/Blackberry Granita - Miraval - Lets Lunch

Duo of Melon w/Blackberry Granita

Usually when I think of dessert the word chocolate is involved. A former chef/boss told me not to even bother with desserts that had fruit in them because Americans wouldn't call it dessert. This Duo Melon changed my mind, maybe it will yours, too.
Last year I was part of a wonderful blogging idea called Let'sLunch, that spanned the globe: several of us posted lunch time recipes at the same time. Today, we are continuing that fun by posting chilled dessert ideas. My Mid-Day food-fun includes recipes and posts from: Cowgirl Chef, and Tiger In The Kitchen, GeoFooding, Bon Vivant and others.

As it turned out, the chilled dessert theme gave me a great opportunity to also talk about my trip to Miraval. A few weeks ago, my daughter and I took a kind of "Mamma Mia" trip to a resort in Arizona where we experienced yoga classes, photography classes...
...and chances to learn from a health conscious chef.
Chef Chad Luethje
At the Miraval Resort I not only had the pleasure of eating flavorful and nutritious, yet luxurious tasting chilled desserts, I also got to keep the recipes. Here are a few pictures of my rendition of the Duo Melon w/Blackberry Granita and the inspiring Miraval Resort.

Miraval is set in the Arizona desert, but feels like an oasis of self growth, food and meditation surrounded by unpretentious and supportive teachers and staff.

As a guest, you have free reign to sign-up for any of the various classes they have organized, participate in Chef's tastings, or just relax with a walk through the labyrinth.
I was completely enthralled with the local, fresh and simple ingredients the chefs served to us in our 3 meals a day. My duo of Melons with Blackberry Granita is a perfect way to add fresh fruit into your day.

RECIPE: (adapted from Miraval, Arizona)
1 cantaloupe, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 honey dew Peeled, seeded and chopped
1 T. fresh mint, minced
1/4 cup pineapple, minced
1/4 cup fresh strawberries, minced
1/4 cup fresh blueberries
1 recipe Backberry Granita

Chop melons into large chunks and puree each melon separately in blender with fresh mint. Place in two separate containers. Add minced fruit to bowl or glass. Pour both purees into the bowl or glass at the same time. Garnish with fresh mint and granita.

BlackBerry Granita:

1 cup Blackberry Puree
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
3 oz. fresh squeezed lime juice

In a medium saucepan over med. heat bring the water and sugar to boil. Remove this from the heat and add the black berry puree. Add lime juice and stir well. Pour into 2" deep baking dish and freeze. Once the granita starts to set up, fluff with a fork every 15-30 minutes .


3 comments:

GeoKaren said...

traveling in Italy...so not fair. Everything tastes better there.

Danielle said...

Have fun in Italy! Can't wait to see pictures of your trip, plus your adventures with this recipe :)

Khali//Bandit and the Scene Stealers said...

That trip was amazing. I find that I have been eating way more fruit just to trick myself that I am still there.
Photos look great! Can't wait to try your version. xoxoxo